Why I’m Building an AI Coach for S-Cubed

Why I’m Building an AI Coach for S-Cubed

Over the past 13 years, I’ve watched thousands of teachers discover S-Cubed Sight Singing Program for Beginners.  

And I’ve noticed something.

Sometimes the hardest part isn’t deciding to try the program.  People who buy it have seen the reviews and continue to see the recommendations on social media.  

The problem most people encounter is getting started — and sticking with it long enough to see what happens.  The results are real.  They are proven.  

Those first lessons are important. They establish the routines, the language, the expectations, and most importantly, the relationship between the teacher and the students.  S-Cubed is not just a method.  There are tons of those out there.  As I've said for years...S-Cubed is part method and part philosophy.  

But there can also be the point where a teacher starts wondering:

Am I doing this right?

Should I move on or repeat this lesson?

What if my kids aren’t getting it yet?

What exactly should I focus on today?

I've answered versions of those questions for years through emails, blog posts, Facebook messages, YouTube videos, workshops, and conversations with teachers.

And lately I've been thinking:

What if I could be there every day?

Obviously, I can't.

But perhaps new technologies can.  

Enter the S-Cubed AI Coach

For the last several weeks, I’ve been working on something new: an AI-powered coach designed specifically to help teachers navigate the first 10 lessons of S-Cubed.

And I want to be very clear about what I want this to be.

I don't want it to replace the teacher.

I don't want AI teaching your students.

I want it to help you teach your students the way I originally intended and to make it easy for you to be successful.

Think of it as having someone beside you who knows S-Cubed and can help you figure out what comes next.

The goal is simple:

Daily guidance through the lessons.

You’ll be able to check in, get help understanding what you should be doing, find the resources connected to that lesson, and ask questions when something isn't going quite the way you expected.

In other words, I'm trying to take the support I've provided teachers for years and make it available when they actually need it.

I Know the Words “AI” Make Some Teachers Nervous

I understand that.

In fact, I think a healthy amount of skepticism about any new technology is probably a good thing.

But I've also been thinking about my own journey with technology.

When I started S-Cubed, I didn't follow the traditional route.

I used YouTube.

I wrote blog posts.

I shared ideas on social media.

I used Teachers Pay Teachers.

I connected teachers directly to videos and resources in ways that weren't particularly common in traditional choral music publishing at the time.

The technology wasn't the point.

Helping teachers was the point...and it still is.  

And that's how I feel about AI.

I'm not interested in using it simply because everyone is talking about it.

I'm interested in whether it can help a teacher walk into the classroom feeling a little more confident about what to do next with their students that day.  

If it can do that, I think it's worth exploring, and that's why I am working on it.  

Why Lessons 1–10?

I'm intentionally starting small.

I'm not trying to put the entire S-Cubed universe into an app.

I want to solve one specific problem really well:

Helping teachers successfully navigate the beginning of the program.

Because once the routines start clicking...

Once the students understand the games, the friendly competition component, the daily routines...everyone starts to see the results.  

Once the teacher begins seeing why the sequence works...

Something changes.

Confidence grows.

The rewards of the work pay off. 

For everyone.

I’m Building This Carefully

This isn't something I'm throwing together and putting online next week.

I'm going lesson by lesson.

I'm thinking about the questions teachers have asked me over the years.

I'm connecting the resources I've already created.

And I'm trying to teach this coach to support teachers in a way that feels like S-Cubed — and feels like me.

There are limitations. There are things I'm learning. There are things AI can do remarkably well and other things it simply can't do.

I'm learning all of that as I build.

And over the next two months, I'm going to share some of that journey here.

Because if you're skeptical, curious, excited — or some combination of all three — I want you to be able to watch this develop rather than suddenly seeing an announcement one day saying:

“Here's my new AI app!”

That's not how I want to introduce this.

I want you to understand why I'm building it.

October 6

That's the date I'm working toward.

And between now and then, I'll show you more of what I'm creating, what I'm learning, and how I believe this can help teachers who are beginning their journey with S-Cubed.

Technology will continue to change.

It always has.

But my goal hasn't changed much at all.

Help teachers succeed.

Help students succeed.

And maybe make that first steps into S-Cubed feel a little less intimidating.

That's why I'm building an AI coach.




No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave your comments and feedback!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel filled with Sight Singing Teacher Tips and Teaching Examples that Include me working with my beginners!

Click this link to see my program "How to Teach Sight Singing to Middle School Beginners. S-Cubed! Successful Sight Singing for Middle School Teachers and their Students

Thanks!
Dale

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.