When a Student Mouths the Words Instead of Singing: It's About More Than Sight Singing
After 30 years of teaching middle school chorus, I know one thing for certain: Teaching music is only part of the job.
Picture this.
You're standing in front of your chorus. Most of your students are singing, but you notice one student moving their lips without making a sound.
What do you do?
Do you call them out? Move closer? Ask them to sing individually? Ignore it and hope they'll eventually participate?
And here's an even more important question:
Do you know WHY that student isn't singing?
Maybe they're embarrassed. Maybe they don't know how to match pitch. Maybe their voice is changing. Maybe they're afraid someone will laugh at them. Or maybe they've simply learned that mouthing the words is an easy way to get through chorus without participating.
Each possibility calls for a different response.
And that's exactly why I wanted to make this video.
Watch: What Do You Do When a Student Mouths the Words?
In this video, I explore a situation almost every middle school chorus teacher has encountered.
It's a simple classroom moment, but the way we handle it can have lasting consequences.
Sometimes the smallest interactions with our students are the ones that matter most.
S-Cubed Was Always About More Than Teaching Sight Singing
When I created the S-Cubed Sight Singing Program for Beginners, I wasn't simply trying to help teachers have a fun way to teach sight singing successfully. It's always been part method and part philosophy.
I was trying to help teachers build successful middle school chorus classrooms.
Yes, the program teaches sight singing through a carefully sequenced process. But anyone who has taught middle school knows that even the best lesson plan can fall apart if students aren't engaged, aren't participating, or don't feel comfortable taking musical risks.
That's why classroom management, pacing, student engagement, and building confidence have always been central to my approach.
You cannot separate successful sight singing instruction from successful classroom management.
And that brings me to something I've been working on for quite some time.
My New S-Cubed AI Coach Does More Than Help You Teach Sight Singing
When I began developing my S-Cubed AI Coach on Studio.com, I knew I didn't want to create something that simply told teachers what to do on Lesson 1, Lesson 2, or Lesson 3. I've already done that in the original program.
I wanted to create something that could help teachers navigate the unexpected things that happen when they're actually standing in front of students.
Things like:
A student who mouths the words instead of singing.
A student whose changing voice cracks and classmates begin giggling.
A class that won't stop talking long enough to begin an activity.
Students who are afraid to sing because they don't want to make mistakes.
A lesson that isn't progressing as quickly as expected.
A class with widely different levels of musical experience.
A teacher who needs to adjust instruction because a concert is approaching.
These aren't hypothetical problems.
They're the kinds of situations I encountered throughout my teaching career.
And they're the kinds of situations that teachers bring to me when they attend my professional development sessions.
The S-Cubed AI Coach is designed to help teachers think through these challenges, not simply move from one sight singing lesson to the next.
Imagine Having Someone to Talk Through a Classroom Problem With Right there the moment you need it.
When I was a young teacher, I didn't always have someone available to help me figure out what to do when something unexpected happened.
Sometimes I made the right decision.
Sometimes I didn't.
And sometimes I learned the hard way.
That's part of teaching.
But what if a teacher could describe a classroom situation and receive practical guidance based on the teaching philosophy I've developed over three decades?
That's what I've been working to create.
The S-Cubed AI Coach can help teachers explore classroom management strategies, differentiate instruction, adjust pacing, reflect on their teaching, and work through real-world situations.
It isn't meant to replace teacher judgment.
Quite the opposite.
It's designed to support teachers as they develop their own judgment, confidence, and classroom management skills.
And while it's grounded in my S-Cubed teaching approach, its usefulness goes beyond teaching students to read music.
A Special 20% Discount Through October 16!
To celebrate the launch of my S-Cubed AI Coach, I'm offering 20% off through October 16, 2026.
If you're a beginning middle school chorus teacher, someone using the S-Cubed program, or an experienced educator looking for another resource to help navigate classroom challenges, I hope you'll take a look.
You can explore the AI Coach here:
https://studio.com/daleduncanscubedcoach
The regular subscription options are $89 for three months or $249 annually. The launch discount is available through October 16.
Are You a Creator? There's an Opportunity for You, Too!
One of the exciting things about building this project on Studio.com is the opportunity for other educators, content creators, and entrepreneurs to explore creating their own AI-powered experiences.
If you've developed expertise that helps other people, you might be interested in seeing what Studio.com makes possible.
I also have a creator affiliate link. If you're interested in exploring the platform for your own work, you can use my link here:
https://studio.com/join/daleduncanscubedcoach
Disclosure: This is my affiliate link. I may earn a commission if you sign up through it.
One Final Thought
Let's return to that student who's mouthing the words.
It's tempting to see the behavior and immediately decide how to correct it.
But experienced teachers know that the behavior we see doesn't always tell us the whole story.
Sometimes we need to ask better questions before we can find better solutions.
That's true for sight singing.
It's true for classroom management.
And it's true for teaching in general.
After 30 years in the classroom, I'm still passionate about helping teachers find ways to reach their students.
The technology may be different today, but my purpose hasn't changed.
I want teachers to feel successful, and I want students to experience the joy of making music.
If you've ever dealt with a student who mouths the words instead of singing, I'd love to hear how you handled it.
Leave a comment below. Your experience might be exactly what another teacher needs to hear.
— Dale Duncan
Creator, S-Cubed Sight Singing Program for Beginners
#MiddleSchoolChorus #MusicEducation #SCubedSightSinging #ClassroomManagement #AIinEducation
No comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking time to leave your comments and feedback!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel filled with Sight Singing Teacher Tips and Teaching Examples that Include me working with my beginners!
Click this link to see my program "How to Teach Sight Singing to Middle School Beginners. S-Cubed! Successful Sight Singing for Middle School Teachers and their Students
Thanks!
Dale
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.