Most music education resources still revolved around printed books, teacher manuals, and the traditional publishing model. That's a wonderful model, and it has served our profession well.
But I wanted to try something different.
Instead of asking teachers to figure everything out from a printed page, I began creating YouTube videos. Then blog posts. Pinterest boards. Facebook communities. Email support. Teacher tips. Video demonstrations.
Many people thought it was a little unusual.
Others embraced it immediately, and for that, I am grateful.
Over the last thirteen years, that decision has connected me with thousands of teachers around the world. Together we've accumulated hundreds of reviews on Teachers Pay Teachers, countless success stories on social media, and an incredible community of educators who have helped shape S-Cubed into what it is today.
None of that happened because of technology.
It happened because teachers trusted one another.
Technology simply allowed us to have the conversation.
Today we're standing at another crossroads.
Artificial intelligence.
I completely understand why some teachers are hesitant.
Every new technology brings questions.
Will it replace teachers?
Will students rely on it too much?
Will it make learning less personal?
Those are fair questions.
I've asked many of them myself.
But after spending months exploring what AI can—and cannot—do, I've come to see something important.
The best educational technology has never replaced great teaching. Ever. I've done this since 1989. When I started, I remember having meetings with people who were helping the administrators trust Apple. Seriously.
It removes obstacles so teachers can spend more time doing what only teachers can do.
That's exactly why I'm building the S-Cubed AI Coach.
This isn't an app that teaches instead of you.
It isn't a shortcut.
It isn't designed to replace the hundreds of videos, lessons, and years of experience that have gone into S-Cubed.
Instead, it's designed to organize all of that knowledge into one place.
Imagine having a coach that's available whenever you need it.
"I'm starting Lesson 3 tomorrow. What should I watch for?"
"One of my students keeps making this mistake. What should I do?"
"How fast should I move through Lesson 7?"
"What if my students are struggling with skips?"
Instead of searching through years of blog posts, videos, emails, and social media discussions, the AI Coach can guide you through the first ten lessons using the same philosophy I've been teaching for years.
We have learned from thirteen years of questions.
Thirteen years of answers.
Thirteen years of teacher feedback.
Thirteen years of refining what works.
The goal isn't to make teachers dependent on AI.
The goal is to help teachers become confident with S-Cubed more quickly so their students experience success sooner.
Because that's what has always mattered.
Not the technology.
The kids who land in front of us.
If this AI Coach helps one more teacher feel confident enough to stick with sight-singing...
If it helps one choir experience that magical moment when students realize they can truly read music...
Then it will have done exactly what I hoped.
Every chapter of S-Cubed has looked a little different.
First it was YouTube.
Then blogging.
Then social media.
Now AI.
The mission hasn't changed.
I'm simply continuing the journey of meeting teachers where they are, using the best tools available to help them become successful.
And when teachers become successful...
Their students do, too.
I can't wait to share what's coming.
October 6.
Want to Create Your Own AI-Powered App?
If you’re a creator, educator, coach, consultant, or expert with knowledge you’d like to turn into an interactive experience, Studio.com gives you the tools to build your own AI-powered app.
I used Studio to create the S-Cubed Sight Singing Program Coach, taking the experience and teaching philosophy I’ve developed over many years and turning it into something that can support teachers whenever they need it.
If you’re curious about creating something of your own, you can explore Studio.com through my creator link:
https://studio.com/join/daleduncanscubedcoach
If you have expertise people regularly come to you for, it may be worth asking: Could I turn what I know into an app?


No comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking time to leave your comments and feedback!
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel filled with Sight Singing Teacher Tips and Teaching Examples that Include me working with my beginners!
Click this link to see my program "How to Teach Sight Singing to Middle School Beginners. S-Cubed! Successful Sight Singing for Middle School Teachers and their Students
Thanks!
Dale
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.